Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dental Insecurities

Physical symptoms: mild parotid swelling, overheating
Mood: Med High
Energy: Great!

I hate going to the dentist. And, I'm pretty sure, I hate it more than most. If there was an award for Most Sensitive Teeth in the Minnesota, I'm confident that I could be in the top five finalists. I can barely eat room temperature food without discomfort. Food must be warm, but not TOO warm. Ice cream must be melted. And chewing raw fruit that has any sort of acidity...forget about it. I don't even remember the last time I ate an orange.

Given that I have Sjogren's Syndrome, there is no wiggle room in skipping dental appointments. It's been two years since I've seen a dentist and that's a damn shame.

And like any good adult, I put on my big girl pants and got my ass in to see the dentist. I was super anxious heading in to my appointment due to the aforementioned sensitivity. In the past, dentists and hygeinists have given me the "Oh it's not that BAD" routine when I've been very comfortable. I know it's a pain in the ass to deal with squirmy, sometimes tearful patients...and I have accepted my role as one of them.

As I expected, I had lots of sensitivity and lots of pain with my exam. I didn't get my cleaning done today (that's a little gift for next week!), but the inspection was bad enough. Jeez. However, this time, the dentist offered me some MI paste that people use after their teeth whitening appointments. She gave me a full size bottle of it and applied some before I left. What a difference that made!

I chewed the apples in my salad for the first time without cringes!

What's next?

Perhaps...an orange?


3 comments:

  1. What a coincidence, I went to the dentist today. :) I don't have sensitive teeth, but I still don't like going :) (worldtour follow me#5)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate going to the dentist. I'm thankful I don't have sensitive teeth, but I have bad teeth, so when I go, it ends up being several subsequent appointments, and a lot of money.

    I had my wisdom teeth out in August of 2011, and I haven't been back to the dentist since. I have plans to see a new dentist this week, and I'm terrified.

    Stephanie - smadronia
    Follow me #5

    ReplyDelete
  3. The  Sjogren’s Syndrome Herbal Treatment  has proven that all these Sjogren's disorder issue can be treat between 30 days to 3 months dependent upon every case. All cases have achieved incredible change and 90% of them get great recuperation from Sjogren's disorder issues.

    ReplyDelete