Sunday, September 16, 2012

Continued Health and Wellness


Physical symptoms: mild dry mouth, mild dry eyes
Mood: Pretty steady
Energy: fantastic!

I saw my rheumy last week. Nothing much new to report. I let her know that I was having days where I could not get things going, fatigue could still get my down. She reminded me that I just had a baby six months ago, am working full time, and have two kids at home. That's enough to make anyone tired, not just someone with an autoimmune disorder. She gave me a prescription for prednisone for the days when I need some help. I'll report back here when I get a chance to use it and let you know how it works.

I saw my nurse practitioner a couple of weeks ago and she mentioned that my health and well being may be improved by eating better and losing some weight.  (I'd like to file this in the "No shit, Sherlock" category). I let her know that I had been working on some new dietary measures, getting to yoga and pilates a couple days per week, but this time the weight is more stubborn. She recommended to me the Mayo Clinic Diet.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been on the Mayo Clinic Diet and it's been pretty good. If you are the type of person who imagines the secret to your success is eating lots of fruits and vegetables, more whole foods and less processed food, and getting some exercise everyday, then this is the plan for you. It's been pretty darn great. While I haven't seen the scale go down so much, I have lost three inches around my waist in these two weeks. Simply, amazing for someone such as I.

I've made a goal of reducing the circumfrence of my waist by 9 inches. I'm a third of the way there!


7 comments:

  1. Fabulous job on the lost inches! Losing weight (or inches) is so darned hard, great job on your progress. (swellmomma from swap-bot follow me #5 swap)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! I'll have to try this exercise. New Follower
    Follow me #5 kcody03

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the weight loss! I've been trying to lose weight all summer and I know how hard it is! Keep it up!

    Suneyflower follow me swap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I got the same advise from my doctor. I'm also dieting now so I'm rooting for you! I know how hard it can get. Keep your spirits up and persevere.(Follow me #5)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a lot that what you eat helps your health (obviously) if you have a disease, etc. Congrats on the weight loss!

    -Follow me #5 Zefaniya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!
    I have never heard of SJOGREN'S syndrome so it was interesting to learn something new.
    I wish you success on your weight-loss :)
    -Jungpo (follow me #5)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This diet sounds like something I should try. My biggest problem with weight loss is finding the time to arrange for healthy foods. I work a great deal, and leaves me eating crap food all the time.

    ReplyDelete